Thursday, July 24, 2008

Yankee Stadium




I have great respect for tradition. That respect approaches sentimentality on numerous occasions. Next Monday will be one of those occasions. On Monday, July 28th, I will have the opportunity to travel with friends to New York City. These days, folks call it a "man cation". A vacation for the guys without our wives. The reason for this trip; a pilgrimage to the cathedral of baseball, the house that Ruth built, Yankee Stadium. 2008 is the final season for the original stadium. Sadly, at the end of the season the oldest surviving baseball stadium will be torn down to make way for a new ballpark across the street.

I am not a baseball fan per se, but I do love the tradition of baseball and particularly of the Yankee organization. In this stadium, the greats of baseball are immortalized, Babe Ruth, Joe DiMaggio, Micky Mantle, Yogi Berra Casey Stengle, Roger Maris and the list goes on and on. There is something about Yankee tradition and the stadium that is exciting to me. So more in another post.

I'll be there for the Orioles vs. Yankees on July 29th with my friend Ken Bascom & his son Joel. Good pizza in Little Italy. Maybe a cannoli. Bust mostly baseball with respect for the tradition.

No comments: